I decided tonight that cooking/baking is like therapy for me.
All day today I was worried and wondering what to make for dinner. Nothing sounded particularly good, I had my choice of chicken, hamburger. pork chops, or breakfast (eggs, bacon, pancakes) to make and NOTHING was calling out to me. So, I defrosted a pound of cooked hamburger, I figured something would come to me, maybe tacos or spaghetti?
Then it was dinner time and I still couldn't decide!! I asked Dustin, he's no help, I asked Facebook, nothing.
I got out a zucchini, onion and my last two potatoes and cut them up, vegetables sounded good. I simmered them in my cast iron skillet until they were soft, adding salt, pepper, and garlic powder for flavor. When they were soft, but not yet done, I added the hamburger and to make it like a casserole, a can of cream o'celery. Then I grated some cheese on top and put it in the oven for 20 minutes.
Oh my, it was fantastic! We ate every single last bite! We had some potato rolls left over from yesterday so we mopped our plates AND the pan with them!
And guess what? I felt super, fantastic, impressed with my ability to cook something tasty!
It was like a little "well done" high for me.
I've been having unhappy thoughts lately about my life and motherhood, things that sneak in when I'm least expecting it, so to feel like I did something good and right was nice. I know everyone feels inadequate sometimes, or like they're not cut out to do the job before them. I am so blessed with a loving family that supports me EVERY day, even if it's just by loving the food I made as much as I do.
It's easy for me to get caught up in the tiniest upsetting thing and let it take over my day, but maybe next time I can remember how good it feels to feed my family and that dinner time is coming soon. If I can create a meal, put a smile on those faces, and turn my day around, it might not be perfect, but maybe I won't notice the imperfections as much.
2 comments:
Mel
I love you. I know all too well what its like to get caught up in feelings of inadequacy. I'm available to chat it you'd like. Exercise is great therapy also. Sending you hugs!
Oh I've been there. It is so nice when at least one thing goes your way in the day. On "those" days I always pray that tomorrow is better. It is, but than the next day.....watch out!
Post a Comment