Monday, September 8, 2008

BEEE Quiet!

I don't know if anyone else out there has this problem, maybe it's just me. My mind won't STOP! I'm thinking constantly, about nothing, and everything at the most inopportune times.
Like last night when I was dead tired and went to bed early at 10pm, my eyes were tired, my body was tired, but my mind wouldn't shut up! I thought about Christmas presents, to give and to get, things that happened that day, plans for next week, dinner for tomorrow, how good dinner was last night and how I could make it better, I imagined my sister marrying her new boyfriend, I thought I heard something, nope just a dog, now I forgot what it was I was thinking before so I had to start over again. It mostly went on like that until sometime after midnight, that's when I stopped looking at the clock anyway. I've had trouble with insomnia and have taken OTC stuff for it, the problem is my body gets completely relaxed by these drugs, but it has no affect whatsoever on my mind. Any thoughts, ideas, on how to make it stop I'd really appreciate it, because tonight is another night and I'd like to get some sleep!

7 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

Wow..wish I had some ideas for you. Dan is the same way. I lay down, my mind goes blank, and I'm gone. Have you tried counting?? Seriously. My grandma told me to do that once, to count to 500. I have never made it there yet.

Zak and Allysia said...

I've dealt with a lot of problems with insomnia, too. The worst was when I was going to school full time and working full time at Gresham Urgent Care. As soon as finals ended I found that I couldn't turn off my mind at night when I went to bed (same as you) and when I finally did fall asleep I couldn't sleep longer than 3-4 hrs a night...it went on for 2 weeks before I finally mentioned it to a doctor I worked with. He gave me a prescription for Sonata, I only had to take it for 3 nights for it to reset my internal clock. If your insomnia is interfering with your daily life and OTC's aren't working definitely make time to see your MD about it.

Esther Ogden said...

Kay, this might sound a little quirky, but I read about it somewhere and gave it a try. It was after my surgery a three years ago and I was doing the same thing. You lay on your back and relax your whole body. Then you focus on the inner most corners of your eyes (next to your nose.) You imagine there being a hollow straw from the surface straight back into your head. Once you have that you focus on the outer most corners of your eyes and think up and out. As you focus on this your mind falls asleep. I am telling you it works! It got me over my insomnia and whenever I have troubles now telling my mind to stop I just do this and I wake up happy in the morning. Let me know how it works! =) Sorry for the long post...you know how I can get long-winded sometimes! =)

Jen said...

Yeah sure Mel, I have lots of ideas, but notice it is 3 am. Hummm, I guess I wont be any help. LOL Love you and hope tonight was better. Jen

Melanie said...

Thanks for all your help!! So far the counting gets me to sleep, but I'm not staying asleep so I'll try some other stuff too. THANSK!!

Yvonne said...

I'll let you borrow Mia for a night. :)

Yvonne said...

BTW, letting you borrow Mia for a night won't help you sleep; you'll just have good company because she rarely sleeps at night. :) I looooooooooooooooooooove you, my friend!!! :)