Friday, December 12, 2008

Whose kid is that?

Doing some Christmas shopping today, I know you're all surprised that I'm not done yet, anyway, things were going great I was finding what I needed, hooray! We had only been to one store and I thought, hey we're on a roll let's do another store and see what we can find. I had promised Damen earlier that we'd go to the park after shopping and he was in a relatively good mood. We entered the second store, it will remain nameless, and things started out rocky with Damen screaming not wanting to sit in the basket. I got him in and we were off to the toy isle. When we got there he saw a truck he wanted to play with so I obliged to let him play while I looked for something. Didn't find what I needed and decided to check the next isle over, I told Damen we had to put the truck back and move on, then the real screaming started. He started to cry about the truck, then about the car that had been next to it, and he didn't stop. So at the top of his lungs we left.
I pulled him out of the basket and he started bucking, almost out of my arms, the cashier commented, "looks like it's somebodys nap time" it was 10:30am, just to be clear. I hadn't parked near this second store so I had to haul a screaming, bucking, now hitting little boy across the parking lot. I kept my cool and calmly buckled him into the car wiped his nose and off we went, home of course.
He cried about the truck until he realized we were headed home and then he started a whole new wave of screaming about going to the park, all the way home! Again, I kept my calm and put him straight in time-out when we got home, after which he hugged me, sat on my lap and I rocked him for a few minutes while he got his final sniffs and sighs out.

What the heck was that?? I've been asking myself ALL day. Dang it, is this how it's going to be? Good thing I've got patience for small screaming children!!

3 comments:

Traci said...

Ah....a day in the life. Gotta love it! At some point you might look back on this and laugh, I know I was as I was reading this.

Zak and Allysia said...

You did so well with it Mel!!! Belen has been having more issues with our errands recently, too...I think they must sense something different about Christmastime that turns them into tiny raving lunatics. What ever happened to 'the most wonderful time of the year?'

Jen said...

I know how you feel. It is not fun and sometimes I think. Who is this child and where did my "oh so perfect child go". I love the comment from the clerk. Times like this I just say "I'm babysitting". Great job hanging in there. It's not easy to do. Tell Damen we love him no matter what.