Wednesday, July 28, 2010

T-Shirt Skirt

Ok, I've seen a lot of repurposing with T-shirts going on out there and just thought I'd give it a try. I wanted to try a skirt, something light and easy, for summer, but something that looked different and trendy. This is what I came up with:

I bought an Xlarge mens T-shirt at a thrift shop for a dollar or two and started by cutting off the top at the armpits. Then I cut out the side seams so it was easier to work with and cut the bottom into 3 inch strips.

My plan was to sew the strips back together and I started measuring and pinning, but that was taking too long so I started sewing one at a time. Beginning just above the bottom hem, which I left intact, I sewed straight up. The pieces that had a little bit of the design from the shirt I flipped around so the inside of the shirt was on the outside of the skirt.

The original T-shirt hem ended up as the skirt hem. It was way too short, so I cut off the arms and the neck hole of the top of the shirt and sewed a tube out of what was left. I had to attach it to the bottom inside out because of the design and take it in a little at the sides. It is very comfortable and cute too.

It was a little time consuming because I wasn't sure how to start, or initially how to make it longer, but in the end it worked out and was worth my $2.


And while I sew, this is what Damen does, entertaining huh?


I'm linking this one too to:



5 comments:

the thrifty ba said...

coming from the shabby...
this is a way cute idea! im bookmarking this and headed to the thrift store!

Sew Like My Mom said...

I love your skirt! Amazing how many ways a simple skirt can be made from a tshirt!

heidi said...

I LOVE this skirt! It turned out sooo cute!!

Anonymous said...

Great way to recycle (or upcycle as I like to call it.) I love it and would love to see you post this at my linky party Upcycled Awesome!
http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled8

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for linking up to www.thetshirtdiaries.com. I am having a Stash-Busting September party. Check the blog for details soon...