A lot of people have asked me how this baby came to be, was it the same process as Damen, was it drugs and in-vitro, a happy surprise, something new, what was it?? So read on if you're interested, it gets a little personal.
This is the story of miracle baby number two.
Two years ago we were plugging away with the same drugs/Dr/ultrasounds/tests that we had been doing off and on since Damen was a year old. It was our standard go to system to try and get pregnant.
At this time my primary care Dr. quit the practice we were going to and I needed to find a new one. Dustin insisted, as he had been for some time, that I go to a Dr. who specialized in getting women like me, with my problems, pregnant. So I did. She is not a gyno/womens Dr. but she has a lot of interest in helping women overcome common problems. My first couple of visits consisted of a lot of tests and blood work. She came to the conclusion that inflammation was causing most of my problems and we could remedy that by cutting dairy and gluten(wheat, rye, barley and malt) out of my diet for a few months and see if that changed things. I was also supposed to start taking a bunch of supplements that I could only buy at her office and were NOT cheap. I passed on those, but started the diet. It was not easy, but I did it. Then in November after a lot of prayer and frustration we decided that the fertility treatments we were doing with my gyno Dr. had to stop, permanently and forever, there was just nothing good coming from it. It was a very hard decision, but it was the right one for our family.
Over the next six months of continuing to eat gluten free (I got dairy back after just three months), my periods became nonexistent. I also had some unbearable pain in my lower left side and had to go back to my gyno Dr. for some tests. The results were devastating, there were multiple(too many to count) cysts around my ovaries, probably blocking any ovulation. Since the cysts weren't large enough to operate on, it would literally take a miracle for me to get pregnant again.
I decided I was done torturing myself and at my appointment in August 2010 I told my Dr. I was done eating gluten free, it wasn't helping. She solemnly looked me in the eyes and said she'd been thinking about me all week and how to help me, she suggested again some supplements, and asked me to hang in there for a little while longer. I figured there wasn't anything to lose and started the supplements. They were anti-inflammatory, detox, and anti-oxidents that I took in double the normal dose. Within a few weeks my body responded positively by ovulating and then 14 days later I had a period, seriously these two things alone were pretty impressive! I kept a Basal Body Temp. chart that I made for myself to track every day of my cycles, I figured if these things weren't working I'd have proof for my Dr, but they were working. I took the supplements along with a high dose of metformin and stayed on the diet for five more months. Over those five months I had four cycles and on the last one, at the end of January, we got pregnant! I was so surprised that it actually worked, that it seemed so simple, it was too good to be true! But it did work and that's the story, here I am, 29 weeks pregnant, expecting a healthy little boy, a miracle baby for us.
It took us six years to conceive with Damen and four years this time so maybe, hopefully the next one will not take so long!

1 comment:
Awww, this made me cry. I'm so happy for you and your growing family!
Post a Comment