Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Toy box for Damen

In preparation for the new baby, we've been moving Damen from the bedroom closest to us, to the bedroom at the end of the house.  It's a bigger room, but it also has a queen size bed in it so we had to change some things.

We decided to get rid of these shelve/storage bins that housed his toys and get him a small toy box.

I found this box at the Goodwill for $14.99 a few months back, it's hideous, but I knew it could look better!

I pulled off all of the green pleather, gag, the contact paper and black cardboard, took off the lid and removed the buttons and batting from it.  

The bottom was moldy and cracked so Dustin replaced that for me. 

I got new foam for the lid and material to recover it at Joanne's, and with my 40% off coupons the total was around $7!!  

I gathered my supplies and got started! 

 I forgot to take pictures of the lid process, but basically I placed the foam down on my material, sprayed the foam with adhesive and pressed the lid onto it, then started pulling and stapling the material to the lid.  I kept the black cardboard from the lid and restapled it to cover the raw edges of the material. 


Next came the bottom of the box.  I thought I had measured SO carefully!!  I had to cut an extra piece and sew it to make one long piece that would wrap around the entire thing.  I planned on having two seams, one where I sewed and one where the ends would meet up.  I started stapling along the bottom, and halfway through decided to make sure the piece was long enough, well it wasn't.  Somehow I was short by 10 inches! I had to cut another piece of material and sew that on, so now there are three seams in the fabric. 

Moving on, I got the bottom all stapled on, turned it over and started with the top of the box, pulling and stapling all the way around,  Dustin didn't like the unfinished edges on the inside, so I hot glued those down too.   

 I screwed the lid back on and DONE!!  Well mostly, we decided it needs little feet and some sort of handle and maybe safety hinges so it can't slam down.  For today though, it's done.  It looked so cute I almost wanted to take it for my bedroom, you know end of the bed little bench with storage?  But Damen's need was greater. . .




We sold the shelves for $60, so minus the cost of this toy box -$22, we actually made money on the project!


I'm linking up to  Transformation Thursday  at  http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/

2 comments:

Dan and Melissa said...

Nice work! It's looks great! Olivia really liked the picture of Damen inside.

Four Huffs said...

You are incredible!!!! You need to come and do some projects at my house. Miss you guys!